[OM] Re: studying photography in UK

Subject: [OM] Re: studying photography in UK
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:33:14 -0400
I can't help you with schools in the UK but I can relate some of my own
experience.

When I "retired" three years ago I decided I wanted to be a part time
pro photographer.  But I'd already been an amateur photographer for 40
years and thought I really didn't have much to learn except, perhaps,
the lighting of architectural subjects.  I had a notion that I wanted to
be an architectural photographer and attempted to apprentice myself to a
local guy whose business was solely architectural work.  But that didn't
work out since, while the guy initially gave it some lip service, he
really wasn't interested in teaching me anything even when my services
were free.

Then, completely by accident, I happened to see an ad for an adult
education course to be given at a nearby high school for "outdoor
portrait photography".  I decided to give it a try even though I didn't
expect to learn much of anything.  Well, I certainly was surprised.  I
found out that after 40 years of amateur photography including 10 years
with my own darkroom that I was still an amateur photographer.  I didn't
really know much of anything about photography except how the equipment
works.  I certainly didn't know anything about portrait lighting,
especially outdoors where it can be very difficult.

It's a long story from there but I eventually found myself apprenticed
part time to the teacher of that course.  I was very fortunate in having
found a highly respected (and prosperous) local portrait and event
photographer to teach me.  He also turned out to be a very patient and
excellent teacher and, as I was to discover later, used to be an
instructor at the New England School of Photography in Boston.

This route ultimately turned out to be much better for me than attending
a formal school.  I wasn't making any money but I wasn't paying any out
either.  My training has been almost exclusively in portrait and event
photography but I have been on a couple of architectural shoots and
learned some valuable lighting lessons there.

Of course, there are many other things one learns from attending a
college or university.  But I had already done that long ago.

Chuck Norcutt