[OM] why sometimes I wish I was shooting film

Subject: [OM] why sometimes I wish I was shooting film
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:11:59 -0400
Last night I had quite a scare.  I opened an email that looked a bit
suspicious and after doing so, I noticed for the first time that
something about the computer system wasn't quite right.  I attempted to
open an astronomy program (Dance) to check out how close Mars would be
at the end of August.  The program wouldn't run and complained about the
working directory being incorrect though it was.  This was a program
that always worked in the past.  I had recently replaced drive D (where
Dance was installed) with a new drive and copied all the filed from the
old drive to the new one and thought this probably was the cause of the
problem (even though all the other programs on drive D worked).  So I
decided to delete Dance and reinstall it.  When I attempted to do so, I
got a "corrupted recycle bin on dive D" error.  I was starting to panic.
  I then logged in as Administrator (this is WinXP Pro) and discovered
when I opened the trash bin, there was nothing in it though I had the
option to empty trash.  When I clicked on the option to empty trash I
got "Do you really want to delete Windows?".  At that point I was
thinking major virus though F-Prot showed nothing.  All I could think
about was the possibility of losing everything, including all my digital
files and their backups.

I finally did some searches on Google and discovered others had exactly
the same problem.  I'm guessing copying drive D to a new drive was the
root cause of my problems.  I tried all the fixes recommended but the
only one that worked was deleting my user profile and then recreating a
new one.  What a pain.  I discovered the problem at 10pm and finally
went to bed at 1:30AM after getting my system back to normal.
Technology... it put a few more gray hairs on my head last night.

Richard