[OM] As promised: Bug picture (Parys Mantis)

Subject: [OM] As promised: Bug picture (Parys Mantis)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:00:44 +0000
I promised a bug picture, if possible, so I'm delivering a bug picture,
although it was nearly impossible to get.

Our rescued, relocated and recovering preying mantis (we've named her Parys
after you know who) had moved up in the wisteria vine this morning to a point
where she was several inches above my head, so, since I had no inclination to
haul out a ladder, I used the only tool at my disposal that made it possible to
photograph her: the E-330.

With the flippable LCD screen flipped down and the camera held at arms' length
above my head, utilizing live preview and the *NEW* autofocus capability in
that mode, I made this exposure at ISO 400 with the 50/2 DZ macro at 1/20 sec.
(Those able to extract the EXIF data can confirm this.) It's not as sharp as I
would like, but since I promised, here it is.

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1123.jpg

And if anybody wonders how I am able to shoot hand-held at 1/20 sec. with the
35mm equivalent of a 100mm lens held high above my head, I'll smugly tell you
that it's a skill learned and honed through many years of firearms use. Not
trying to start anything, though, but when you can put 10 rounds into a 3-inch
circle at 30 feet in under 5 seconds, you too may be able to hand-hold at slow
shutter speeds.  :-)

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from