[OM] Underwater photography - mju 720SW?

Subject: [OM] Underwater photography - mju 720SW?
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 00:52:09 +0200
Hmm......bowing to AG's request, I'd start a thread ;)

As some may know, I spent a bit of time scuba diving, both for fun
and otherwise.

Recognizing that OMs are both bulky and not-so-watertight, I've thus
far been using (other-brand) 35mm film UW cameras, but digital is
tempting (36 frames is on the low end....) when submerged.

However Olympus recently released the 7.1Mpix mju 720sw, which is a
compact, cute, shock and water-resistant lil' digicam, that should
support up to 3m depths. Additionally, Olympus makes an UW housing,
allowing up to 40 depths (that'd be about 130 ft, I guess - when're
y'all goin' metric?)

This seems to me to be an ideal little combo, since it's compact
enough to fit in a briefcase without the housing, and the housing
does satisfy most of recreational diving requirements. I tested it
with gloves (!) and the housing seems to be actually ergonomic enough,.

However, I've not owned an Olympus digicam since the Camedia 3030z
(although the coming E-thing seems interesting....), and so I do not
quite know what to expect. Anyone who's got some good or bad things
to say about the OM compact digi's in general, and of course the
720SW in particular?

Anyone who's taken Olympi's under water (intentionally, of course,
dropping it off a boat-deck by accident doesn't count...I've lost an
OM1 that way once), and has recommendations or advise?

Ok, not OM-related, but photography and Olympus-related.

--
Thomas Clausen
Thomas.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx