[OM] Re: Not the camera...

Subject: [OM] Re: Not the camera...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:23:56 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> ... it is the photographer. Although I usually hate that old cliche,
> these pages by a very interesting photographer with a Ricoh GR makes
> one reconsider. Mostly black and white.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/johncarolan/sets/72057594056344136/

Thanks for the link, it was a very enjoyable trip!

It seems to me that equipment sets an outer limit on what a photographer
can accomplish, but that limit is far, far beyond what most
photographers achieve with any given piece/set of equipment.

I know I've mentioned before that I had a girlfriend who loved to travel
and took many slides with a simple match needle Pentax and the 50mm
standard lens that had never been off the body. She simply had a great
eye. And I mean a quite a lot of calender/NatGeog quality pics. Funny
thing was she never could grasp how good they were.

This guy has not only a good eye, but a sense of humor, which she
didn't. A great range of subjects and styles. There are images there
that I could have taken, heck, some I HAVE taken, with mostly irrelevant
detail differences of specific time and place. Then there a quite a few
I wish I had taken, or at least realized were there for the taking. And
then some I would never have taken and wouldn't have missed. The overall
level is very high.

Moose