[OM] Re: Danger, danger! Adventure afoot!

Subject: [OM] Re: Danger, danger! Adventure afoot!
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:52:18 +0000
Main flash (T-20 with 35-year-old Spiratone optical slave thingy) off camera
about 3 feet away and 45 degrees above, with the FL-50 on the E-1 25 feet away
for fill. Next time, a little less fill, but the off-camera flash avoids the
"deer in the headlights" look fairly well. It all has to be done manually,
though, because on TTL auto the FL-50 pre-flash sets off the slaved flash and
everything ends up all black, because the little man in the camera mistakes the
slave flash for the pre-flash and calculates the exposure from that, thinks
there's already lots of light, and so just pretty much shuts down the FL-50.
Took me a couple of test shots to figure that one out.

Despite being entirely nocturnal, these little critters are surprisingly tame.
I think it's becausue they are so quick that makes them appear nearly fearless,
and they are unbelievably fast. I hope their apparent boldness is not because
they're fierce and are planning to gang up on me someday to satisfy their
carnivorous cravings, because they often come 8 or 10 at a time. (Maybe that's
why they remind me of Gremlins, so I don't feed them after midnight.) I have
stood within 3 feet of the feeder we have set up for them and, while they keep
one eye on me, they appear pretty much unpreturbed by my close proximity.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --