[OM] Pen F, 100/2 and other lenses - a few photos

Subject: [OM] Pen F, 100/2 and other lenses - a few photos
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:46:00 -0400
I finally picked up my OM to Pen adapter and new ball head in the
States. Soooo, I have posted a few pictures taken with my Pen F and some
OM Zuiko lenses, primarily the 100/2.  They can be viewed at:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx/my_photos

As tests of camera/lens and tripod/ball head, subjects were those close
at hand, i.e., plants around the house.  The photos were neither taken
nor chosen for artistic merit.  Also used the cat - as others seem to
have done recently - as a subject for some tests.  Of course, he woke up
part way through and moved about, which didn't help.  The B&W shots were
taken either hand held or with a monopod, the colour ones with a tripod.

By chance, I also had a roll (Blacks/Fuji)in my OM2 to finish, so there
are a couple of comparison shots with the 100/2 on this camera.

Films used were:
- Ilford FP5 400 ASA, developed and scanned as half-frame (grey scale)
at local pro shop;
- Blacks (Fuji) 400 ASA colour negative film, scanned as half-frame
(Picture CD) by W*lm*rt; and
- Fuji 200 ASA colour negative film (same process, same W*lm*rt).

Interestingly, the half-frame scans end up being essentially the same
size (1024x1453 pixels) as the full-frame ones (1024x1544 pixels). To my
simple brain, this means that the scanners are effectively giving a
higher resolution scan for half-frame.

The photos are as they came from the labs, absolutely no
post-processing.  With the colour film, I'm pleasantly surprised by the
lack of grain on all the scans (OM and Pen) and the resolution.  The
Ilford, however, is full of grain, though I can remove it in
post-processing.  This assessment is based on looking at them on my
(cheap) Dell LCD monitor, and not as prints.

Other very subjective observations:
- the Pen viewfinder is quite bright and focussing is relatively easy
using OM lenses, though the central microprism area is useless (works
fine with F lenses);
- the aperture ring on the Pen lenses moves the other way to the OM
lenses.....;
- on my monitor, at least, photos taken using the wide angles (21/3.5.
28/2) don't look anything special (especially the 28/2);
- the 100/2 seems to do equally well on both cameras, as do the longer
Tamrons (180, 300/2.8);
- the 135/3.5 also does well (as it does on the Oly digitals); and
- I like the Pen 70/2 (just acquired as a result of Iwert's subtle but
effective enabling).

In retrospect, I should also keep better notes on which lenses I used.....

Martin