[OM] Possible focusing aid for 5D with MF lenses

Subject: [OM] Possible focusing aid for 5D with MF lenses
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:50:57 -0400
Hi,

 Found this and similar posts in Pnet on this issue.  It may not be as cool or
high tech as the chip on the adapter, though may be useful with more complex
background.  I saw some info that the current  incarnation Angle Finder does
not reverse left and rt, though that should be confirmed.  I would choose
Moose's eagle eye and an angle finder over a chip anyways. I think Jeff is
investigating this by trying the VM held up to his 5D.
 I have no stock in C*non, am too slow on the draw to have used the rebate for
the 5D and don't own an angle finder.
Mike

Canon Angle Finder for critical focusing....buy one!
armando conti , jun 18, 2006; 12:15 p.m.
Many folks have complained about critical manual focusing with DSLR's, even
full frame, many after having moved from medium format and those nice, large
focusing screens.
Even with full frame, I've had a bit of uncertainty in situations of the most
critical focus. Granted, some of these problems have been noticed only when
I've done lens tests at 100 percent on a good monitor. There I have seen focus
on objects 30 or 40 feet away missed by a foot or so. I could have probably
never noticed this on a lightbox with a 2 1/4 transparency, another example of
how things are now more noticeable that we can instantly enlarge images to
great magnifications with the touch of a button.
The above not withstanding, in studio work, while trying to determine the near
and far focus points, I've previously had a bit of trouble. That has now
changed. The angle finder has such a good image and is so easily adjusted for
both magnification and diopter that it now seems as though I can pick any
object in the field of view and obtain certain focus, even on objects that do
not have many details to focus on. With this finder on high magnification all
you need is an edge on the object. I find it superior to the similar device for
the Mamiya RZ, and suggest that anyone having manual focus difficulty buy one.

The following keywords and/or sponsored links have been extracted automatically
from the posts in this thread: medium format, lens, Canon, camera, lcd, Canon
EOS, photography

All on demand. Always Free.