[OM] Re: Kiron 28mm f2.8 for OM---worth getting for very little?

Subject: [OM] Re: Kiron 28mm f2.8 for OM---worth getting for very little?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:59:57 -0400
I have lots of Kirons.  With the exception of my rather rareish 28-70
f/4 they're all excellent.  It may be fine as well but I seem to have
trouble focusing it for some reason.   I also have a 28 f/2 but I've
never used it since, like many other Kirons, it has a sticky diaphragm.

Kirons used helical grease which breaks down to oil too easily over time
and flows onto the diaphragm.  Lots of Japanese lenses of the same era
have the same problem but I think Kirons are more likely to suffer the
problem.  They work fine once disassembled, cleaned and relubed.

Kiron made lots of lenses for other companies but something that has the
Kiron name (their own) can be trusted to be optically very good.

Notice the anagram?  Rearrange the letters from "Nikor" and what do you
get?  Kiron was started by some ex-Nikon engineers.

Chuck Norcutt