[OM] Re: Ghost from the past...

Subject: [OM] Re: Ghost from the past...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:03:40 -0400
Hi, Shawn.  Welcome back.  I'm afraid I can't add anything to Moose's
comments on your questions.  I'll just say that I waited a long time for
Oly to do something beyond the E-1 and finally went out and bought a
Canon 5D.  Things that were very important to me were compatibility with
my old OM mount glass, full 35mm size frame to keep wide angle lenses as
wide angle, extremely low noise at high ISO and, probably the most
important thing, fast and accurate autofocus under very low light.  My
only autofocus lens acquisition so far is the Tokina 28-80/2.8 which is
a truly fine piece of glass and very robust.  I intended to add its
companion, the 80-200/2.8 but it has recently been discontinued and I'm
debating if I want to get a used one or choose the newer design Sigma
70-200/2.8.  May be even a better lens but different ergonomics.  Canon
2.8 "L" glass is beyond my budget; especially after dropping $2600 for
the 5D.

I've also discovered via testing that my manual focusing abilities (at
least on the 5D) are abysmal so I'm not sure now of the wisdom of OM
lens compatibility.  But, as a full frame Canon digital owner, I still
covet your 21/3.5.  I don't have any Zuikos shorter than 24mm.  But even
without the OM lens compatibility I'd still choose the 5D for its low
light autofocus ability since I shoot a lot of wedding receptions and
bar mitzvah parties where the only light is "available darkness".  The
5D with a 2.8 or faster lens seems to be able to focus in light low
enough that I can hardly see the subject.  And that's with no focus
assist light since for the 5D it's on the flash unit and I have no Canon
flash.  Still using T-32's and Sunpaks in manual mode along with a
Sekonic L-358 which I wish I had bought 20 years ago.  I am a firm
believer now in flash and incident light metering.  The Sekonic L-358 is
particularly nice since it also tells you the percentage of flash vs.
ambient light which makes accurate fill flash very easy.

I still use the OM's once in a while but find most local film processing
to be either poor or expensive and sometimes both.  I find film scanning
onerous but the best thing to do if I want a print more than 4x6.  I
also own a Minolta A1 but don't have a pocket size digital.  Sometimes
the best camera turns out to be my Olympus Stylus Epic.  The camera,
spare battery and and a few rolls of film fit nicely into a little fanny
pack.

Chuck Norcutt
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/>