[OM] Re: Ghost from the past...

Subject: [OM] Re: Ghost from the past...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:08:46 -0700
Welcome back. Nice to hear from you. I think I was still a new guy
when you left.

People have done different things in the move to digital. Some waited
until Oly went digital and then they did too, some happily using
their old lenses with an adaptor. Some went Canon lured by less
digital noise, more pixels and also to use their OM lenses with
adaptors. A few went Nikon lured by the ergonomics and hang the
little bit more noise, but I am one of these few to have stuck around.

A couple of other differences you might consider. The E-500 has a
couple more megapixels than the D50, but is a little noisier than the
D50 which has just about the least amount of digital noise of any
camera. The D50 is also a little smaller.

Check out the timings pages in the dpreview reviews as well. Off to
shot taken is 1.7 sec for the Oly and less than .1 second for the
D50. It looks like the frame rates are similar.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page10.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page11.asp

Some people hung onto their OM stuff. I sold the special bits that
would fetch some money and kept the OM bits that were sort of
worthless from the money standpoint. But I have not used any of them
in a couple of years.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA