[OM] Re: Technical exposure question

Subject: [OM] Re: Technical exposure question
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:06:56 -0500
I've shot a lot of sunsets, so much so that they kind of bore me.  I
don't know if that makes me an expert or just fickle -- maybe just a
photographer of boring photos.  A few of them are here:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/Hawaii/sun/sun.html

With sun in the frame, the reading will not be useful, at least not
until the sun is just about sitting on the water (in a seascape
photo), so a decent exposure reading is probably going to need to be
gotten in MM in the first place (or locked in Auto, which sort of
amounts to the same thing).  These are often circumstances in which AF
doesn't work so well either (try auto-focusing on the sky at a horizon
sometime), so MF is often necessary too.

When it is the case that the sun begins to take on color (orange to
red), it is no longer skewing the exposure reading so badly, so it
would become possible at that point to use Auto in a pano.  This is
the point at which the sunset is also the most interesting and at
which light is changing too fast to adjust for it in MM.  I suspect
this is the pecular situation for which the advice is given.

Joel W.