[OM] Re: OT American use of bad - was Tamron 350/5.6 cat

Subject: [OM] Re: OT American use of bad - was Tamron 350/5.6 cat
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:55:43 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Citizens of Massachusetts might surmise that a "roundabout" is a
> "traffic circle" (unknown in most of the rest of the US)
This one three blocks from the house I grew up in was restored to its
original, 1911 glory in 1996. Eight separate roads come together in this
circle and one has lanes for the two directions separated by several
feet vertically
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BFountain.htm>. There is
also a tunnel, which was originally for trains, but now for cars, which
passes under this circle. The whole shebang was designed by John Galen
Howard.

There is another, less impressive traffic circle, as we call 'em here, a
little further in the opposite direction.

But then we all knew Berkeley was "different".

Mexico has the best name for these things, "Glorietta". Many of them in
Mexico City fell to the bulldozers when the Eje system of one way
throughfares was created.

Moose