[OM] Backpacks (was: Tripods/ Packs or cases)

Subject: [OM] Backpacks (was: Tripods/ Packs or cases)
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:40:38 +1000
> AG Schnozz wrote:
> [...] This is true for a lot of uses where a standard shoulder
> bag will be better.  However, I find that I carry mine just over
> a shoulder most of the time--rarely do I put it on my back
> unless I'm hiking for a ways...

Noting straight-up your "unless I'm hiking for a ways", can
I ask if you ever wind up with any kind of lower to middle back
pain/spasms (not at the time, but maybe at any time after doing
this for a period)? I carry a backpack (just for work - not for
camera gear) every day, and I still forget and resort to the
old, schoolday, sling it over *one* shoulder bit. I keep this up
for a couple of weeks and I'll wake up in bed one morning
and find my mid-back "spasms" with pain as I move it different
ways. I then have my "Ahhh" moment where I remember my
commitment to myself to wear the backpack properly, and
it all goes away. I remind my partner of the same when they
suddenly complain, and realise they've been doing it too (with
a relatively hefty notebook computer on board).

Backpain reminds me of migraine - it's a pain you want to
avoid if you can, because it takes *everything* out of you.

'Course, if you don't get this after longterm backpack-slinging,
ignore everything I wrote above (he he - bit late now, hey? ;-) )

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz