[OM] Re: What's up on this list??? AND THE CLOTHES MARK IS WEARING WITH

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up on this list??? AND THE CLOTHES MARK IS WEARING WITH HIS NEW TOY!
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:41:47 +1000
> Adam Bolt wrote:
> Hey!!!... I always hought that if you were going to take one
> of these bush bashing that you had to wear a Georgio Armani suit
> to go with it!!! :-)

I'm not a suits kind of guy, and have sworn I'll never take another
job that requires that pointless, brain-constricting abomination
of apparel known as the "tie". I'm more your t-shirt and jeans
kind of guy. My business presentation is to push substance over
style (it mostly works - people are refreshed by the smell of
clean air, being more accustomed to that of BS). Do you like my
Sideshow Bob shirt? ;-)

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm averse to *some* "style" in
ess-you-vees. ;-)

> James N. McBride wrote
> Porsche has built off-road racing rigs for years and they put that
> experience to work in the Cayenne with much success. They will go
off-road
> very nicely and they are priced competively with the offerings by
Lexus and
> Mercedes. I keep telling myself that my 1976 Jeep will go anywhere
these
> fancy rigs will....but not with the same comfort level. What a great
> camera hauler.

Further likely, because my protestations to the contrary, when it
comes (please, god, no) to the "crunch", I'm sure I'd feel better if
I was in your bulletproof 1976 Jeep.

It was also priced very competitively with our other choice, the
Range Rover Sport Supercharged (which was pipped for price there,
but lost mostly on the premise that we feared we'd get the same
degree of [ahem] reliability that we got from our 2003 Landy
Disco').

> AG Schnozz wrote:
> Yeah, you think it's going to see anything but pavement?  I'd
> love to do a little rock-crawling with that thing to see how the
> aluminum body panels hold up.
>
> NICE ride!

Hey, the picture posted lacks pavement, ya bastard! ;-D

http://www.parknmeter.com/gallery/v/wolfie/sideshowbob.jpg.html
(Actually, we did have some mild wheel-lifting only a few minutes
before that, on a sidetrack. It does climb steadily, much like the
Landy Disco did on the equally mild tracks we'd been on in that).

You're right though. I'd be averse to rock-crawling, like I mention
above. As for pavement though, well, we're more your Stockton Beach
and Noosa-to-Fraser sand-drivers (but with eyes also out back beyond
Big Red past Birdsville).

Sorry for the reply-delay. We just got back from a week up north
in Noosa, giving the thing a few thousand clicks of "run-in". It does
go like a scalded cat, but is just a nice cruiser too. The V8 is
possibly even better to listen to than the nifty sound system.

OM-related: Well, to affirm what James says, the Oly C5050z fits
perfectly nicely and snug in the glovebox. :-D

Cheers,
Marc (Sorry for my enthusiasm. The car purchase is the product of
inheritance from my much-loved mother-out-law, a desire from my
partner to not limit all money to savings as his mother did, and
remembrance of my late father's also-lifetime desire for the marque.
There's a whole lot of feeling wrapped up in it, though I know
it's "just a car").
Sydney, Oz