[OM] Re: Cibachromes

Subject: [OM] Re: Cibachromes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:38:10 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all.
> Wonder what you think about Cibachromes for slides vs high res scan and
> print on Epson 9800 with archival paper.  Found a place in CA that
> still will do the Cibachromes.

Cibachrome? I thought it became Ilfachrome some years ago. Sold and
renamed again with Ilford's troubles?

Anyway, I think you may be asking the wrong question. The more important
question is how good the people doing each process are.

Both processes are capable of absolutely wonderful results, in capable
hands - and mediocrity in the wrong hands. Both are supposed, based on
testing, not actual experience, to be archival out to 80+ years.

I gather Ciba/Ilfa chrome can be a difficult material to work with. But
I have some Ilfachromes on my walls done by a friend who does his own
printing that are startlingly natural, like a window onto the world.

I've never knowingly seen a 9800 print, but those from the smaller
printers with the same inks can be just as good as the 'chromes. Never
exactly the same, of course, so there is also the matter of personal taste.

Why not send the same image to both and see what they produce?

Moose