[OM] Re: Afghanistan, faded slides

Subject: [OM] Re: Afghanistan, faded slides
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:22:21 +0100
Moose wrote:
> Lawrence Woods wrote:

>>OM reference:
>>I took over 1400 color slides of Iran and Afghanistan, with a
>>Pentax Spotmatic until I replaced it with an OM-1 in 1974.  I
>>used Agfa CT18 slide film because Ektachrome was more
>>difficult to find and much more difficult to get processed.
>>Unfortunately, CT18's dyes have not been stable, and the
>>slides have suffered fron severe fading and color shift.
>>
>>Some day I will get a film scanner and see what kind of
>>restorative magic software can perform.
>>

> It's really amazing how much restoration can be done, much of it with
> considerable ease.

If they have all faded in simular ways it should be possible to automate
atleast the basic corrections. I would not want to hand correct that
many slides. fading worries me a little too. So for each type of film I
shoot I have taken pictures of an IT8 and HCT scanner target under
calibrated lighting. I therefore hope if there is any problems in later
years I have a good basis for performing the colour correction. However
I hope to have them all scanned in way before then!
Regards
James

- scanning slides like crazy with a nikon 9000ed - wow its slow when you
want to do multiple passes! one 35mm slide with 4 passes takes 7 minutes
including preview scan, focusing, film holder movement etc on my 3GHz
4GB ram monster machine.

om content all 35mm slides where taken on om kit with the occasional
Tamron lens (90mm f2.5 macro, 80-200 f2.8 ed)