[OM] Re: E-1 images on the net

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 images on the net
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:30:39 -0700
I find it very difficult to focus a 500mm f8 fixed aperture lens. Graham,
Walt, and another list member seem to be much better at it than me. Using an
f6 mirror lens with a split image focus screen is much easier for me.

If your Manfrotto head has a quick release, that is probably the source of
your creep. I had several Manfrotto heads, the last I was sure locked down
and didn't slip but I was still having problems with creep. If I tightened
the lens plate to the lens very tight and forced the quick release clamp
closed as tight as possible it seemed to help but not eliminate it. I
converted to an Arca-Swiss style quick release head. The difference is
dramatic. I think the problem with the Manfrotto was at least partly due to
the rubber pad on the quick release plate.

I'm not sure if you also saw rotation about the lens axis. I haven't had any
significant problems with tripod collars letting the lens rotate (even when
the collar is loose). I do have a couple camera - lens combinations that
allow some rotation between the lens and the camera body.

Good luck,
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

The Zuiko 500mm image is rather ho-hum; not sharp, unsaturated colours
despite me adding saturation, and so on. Quite muddy colours.

-snip

I found it very difficult to maintain the horizon at the correct angle; on
the
Manfrotto head there always seemed to be creep. Also with the Zuiko 300
collar. I did manage to hold exposure value and recompose; but I'm not sure
that this helped camera/lens stability.  I have to work on stability with
the
500.

-snip

Cheers, Brian