[OM] Re: Easy E-thing firmware updates

Subject: [OM] Re: Easy E-thing firmware updates
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:34:44 +1000
Walt Wayman wrote:
> I updated the firmware in my E-330 a couple of days ago.  I recall seeing
> posts here from time to time about difficulties accomplishing this task, and
> I remember having a bit of a hassle updating my E-1 last year using either
> Viewer or Studio -- I forget which now -- and because of that experience, I
> skipped the first available update for the E-330 because it didn't provide
> anything new that I considered essential.  This newest one, though, I
> definitely wanted.
>
> Such difficulties appear now to be a thing of the past.  I updated the E-330
> using Olympus Master 1.41, which has an "Update Camera" icon on the opening
> menu.  The  process is now darn near idiot proof.  All I had to do was attach
> the camera to the computer, turn it on, and sit and watch.  The software
> detects the camera model, displays the applicable update(s), sets the camera
> to the "Storage" mode, reminds you not to turn the camera off or push any
> buttons until "OK" is displayed on the LCD.  Even I couldn't screw that  up.
> I had the 50/2 DZ macro attached at the time, and the software checked its
> firmware, too, and told me it had the latest version.  This all took less
> than five minutes.
>
> I haven't used Olympus Master for any other purpose, but at least for me,
> it's way more better than either Viewer or Studio for updating and/or
> checking the firmware in E-thingies and lenses.  If you've got it, I highly
> recommend you try it next time you feel the need for an update.

Your story encourages me.  After hearing other people's nasty
experiences with firmware updates I got scared off trying.

I don't mind sending my camera off for repair if I've been a dumb*ss and
dropped it, but sending it back because of a dodgy firmware update would
REALLY p*ss me off.

Andrew McPhee