[OM] Easy E-thing firmware updates

Subject: [OM] Easy E-thing firmware updates
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:55:59 +0000
I updated the firmware in my E-330 a couple of days ago.  I recall seeing posts
here from time to time about difficulties accomplishing this task, and I
remember having a bit of a hassle updating my E-1 last year using either Viewer
or Studio -- I forget which now -- and because of that experience, I skipped
the first available update for the E-330 because it didn't provide anything new
that I considered essential.  This newest one, though, I definitely wanted.

Such difficulties appear now to be a thing of the past.  I updated the E-330
using Olympus Master 1.41, which has an "Update Camera" icon on the opening
menu.  The  process is now darn near idiot proof.  All I had to do was attach
the camera to the computer, turn it on, and sit and watch.  The software
detects the camera model, displays the applicable update(s), sets the camera to
the "Storage" mode, reminds you not to turn the camera off or push any buttons
until "OK" is displayed on the LCD.  Even I couldn't screw that  up.  I had the
50/2 DZ macro attached at the time, and the software checked its firmware, too,
and told me it had the latest version.  This all took less than five minutes.

I haven't used Olympus Master for any other purpose, but at least for me, it's
way more better than either Viewer or Studio for updating and/or checking the
firmware in E-thingies and lenses.  If you've got it, I highly recommend you
try it next time you feel the need for an update.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --