[OM] Re: OM-1 Polariser/Polarizer

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 Polariser/Polarizer
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:17:28 -0400
Must be one of those profound "truths" that emanate from the mouths of
camera sales persons.

Yes, the semi-silvered mirror of the OM-2sp and later and the OM/PC/40
act somewhat as a polarizer and tends to undo the work of the linear
polarizer and thus whacks up the exposure calculation.  That's why they
need a circular polarizer to compute exposure manually.  But as Charlie
(?) already noted, when the mirror is up, the semi-silvered surface is
out of the way and automatic exposure calculation proceeds correctly
without regard to the type of polarization.

Some autofocus mechanisms also adversely affect linear polarized light
but not all.  My Minolta A1 also works correctly with an OM 49mm linear
polarizer.  I'm sure the 5D requires a circular since that's the only
type that Canon sells.

Chuck Norcutt