[OM] Re: newbie questions on the LS 4000ED

Subject: [OM] Re: newbie questions on the LS 4000ED
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:56:45 +0200
In the message I received, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile writes:
Hi Fernando,

>Well I've done it. Bought it second hand, and well but heavily used. Paid
>USD400 and waiting for a new MA-20 replacement, soon to arrive.

Congratulations on your latest acquisition. It will serve you well for
years to come, I am sure.

>1- while scanning, the machine makes some continuous noise. I don't know if
>too loud a noise, but certainly more noise than I had supposed it to make.

The Nikon bricks certainly aren't silent, that's for sure. Unless your
scanner is producing obviously weird noises, such as gears crushing, I
wouldn't be worried. :-)

>2- how is it that the software has a separate option available for scanning
>Kodachrome positives ....

Kodacromes are hard to scan; the CCD light and Kodachrome dies clash,
especially in slides with high contrast.

Two things that you really need to get the best out of your scanner:

1) Get NikonScan 4.0.0 Full version and 4.0.2 updater
   Much better than 3.1.x, which was, according to many, unusable.

2) Check out this site for a good guide to using all the tools scanner
   provides you with for that extra bit of goodness:
   http://www.marginalsoftware.com/HowtoScan/tutorial_page_1.htm

The page above will explain why using analog gain (CCD illumination
control) to lift details in shadows is better than curves and many other
questions that will no doubt surface as you get to know your scanner
better.

Analog Gain Setting  Transparencies   Negatives
 -2                  -2 E.V.          +2 E.V.
 -1                  -1               +1
  0                  0                0
 +1                  +1               -1
 +2                  +2               -2