[OM] Re: Professional slide scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: Professional slide scanning
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:51:20 -0700 (PDT)
This sounds like they are using a Nikon Coolscan 4000 or 5000
with bulk loader. If this is the case...

> 2. Deluxe and Pro adds automated color restoration, shadow
> "recovery" and grain reduction, three things I DON'T want. I
> can always do those things, if needed, on a case by case
> basis, but I can't get back to the
> original image if they are done efore I get the image.

Well, the ICE-4 package that is part of the Nikon suite does a
remarkable job at handling "bulk scanning" duties. The color
restoration and shadow recovery pretty much give you what the
slide has on it. The curves *might* be a little off, but that's
where your own personal preferences in post-production kick in.
The shadow recovery just keeps you from having to lift the
shadows later. Nikon accomplishes this through overscanning. The
grain reduction is the GEM function. I wasn't too impressed at
first, but after doing controlled testing and calibration, I
have no fear of using it and rarely do I ever see ANY loss of
resolution or details.

> Their quote of at least 15 mb, indicates to me a JPEG.

Maybe, but it might also be a compressed TIFF.  100% JPEGs don't
bother me most of the time.

> Now I know I'm a fussy purist, but for my best shots, I want
> an uncompressed, 16-bit image. To be fair, compression can be
> fine if one doesn't want to do any further work on them. And
> 8-bit can be just fine IF - the higher tonal

As I mentioned the other day, the Nikon scanner in 8-bit mode is
purty good. If I know I'm going to be cranking the curves all
over the place or going to B&W with the image, I might use the
higher bit depth, but rarely.

> Nope. I don't believe it at these prices and specs. I'd bet a
> $350 Canon 9950F will give better results with a modest
> learning curve.

Depends on what you call "modest". :)

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com