[OM] Re: Ot..computer probs

Subject: [OM] Re: Ot..computer probs
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 02:59:33 +0200
Le lundi 19 Juin 2006 02:16, JOHN DUGGAN a écrit :
>  Tomorrow the first thing I will do is Ghost EVERYTHING to remote hard
> drive. Why can't the scumbags out there find something constructive to do
> instead of writing computer viri and similar
> programmes?................................................................

Because windows makes it easy (vista /should/ be better in the security
department, but accomplishing even basic tasks such as trashing a link from
desktop to bin is so cumbersome if owner of the icon and owner of the trash
are different that I fear most users will keep on logging as admins,
therefore defeating the new scheme), and it is profitable. Times of hackers
doing harmless (or harmful, sometimes) malwares for fun and fame are looooong
gone. Today, it's a big business, and botnets are actualy sold for real cash.

But don't blind yourself, the #1 cause of  spreading for viruses and spywares
has its roots in users ignorance and general lazyness. Computers are power
tools, they should be handled with care, and users being given a great power
on information flow have great responsabilities to keep the flow as clean as
possible from rubbishes. While it's someone's else fault to let a malware
loose, it's also your fault if the thing spreads from your computer
afterward. There's no such thing as a constitutional right to use a
computer ; but there's a general rule to avoid harming your neighbour, even
without intention to do so.

I know my speech is completely opposite to the "userfriendliness" marketing
ploy, but even if dominant, marketing is just that : hot air.

--
Manuel Viet