[OM] Re: T-32 in foreign hot shoes - test results

Subject: [OM] Re: T-32 in foreign hot shoes - test results
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:13:26 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Unlike the other camera's shoes, however, the front half of the FS-1100
> shoe is bare metal and connected directly to ground.  The question was,
> what would that do (if anything) to the T-32's signaling circuits.
> Would they suddenly release their smoke and become signalless toast?
>
> Tim Hughes sent me a private communication indicating that he didn't
> think the T-32 would be harmed by having its flash ready and flash
> quench signal pins shorted to ground.  That was good enough for me.
>
> So, I'm here to report that Tim was correct.
How so? In the case of the T32, the mechanical protection in the foot
keeps those contacts from being made, withdrawing them into the foot
unless the proper pit in the proper place in the shoe exits. I strongly
suspect that is not the case in the shoe you tried.

So you have indeed shown that a T32 isn't harmed by insertion into a
shoe such as you describe, something that has been known about the T32
mechanical design since it came out. Testing whether grounding the
contacts causes any harm requires test leads or a modification of the
foot. I don't, however, see any point, since Oly's clever design renders
the question moot.
> I have successfully fired both the T-32 and Sunpak 422D
Unless the 422D foot is different from the SCA-321, you have indeed
shown that grounding those contacts causes no immediate harm to the
422D, and by implication, other similar SunPaks.

Moose