[OM] Re: #118

Subject: [OM] Re: #118
From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:05:34 +0100
Hey, great introduction and lovely colour range here!

And I think it's true, for any perception the context matters indeed.

Let's not forget too that this 'context' is always social as well. The
forceful authority, obsession and negative imagery associated with the
'normal' and 'appropriate' body, (so much experienced by women -as well as
men recently), relates to the way we have constructed and reproduced
unattainable standards and pseudo-scientific discources of the body.

Questions, such as 'does my bum look big in this?'  are directly linked to
the gendered (masculine) and racist (white) social practice of the recent
western past.

For example, when few centuries ago the White Europeans  were looking for
more justifying excuses to legitimate their exploitation of  the rest of the
world, they 'scientifically' identified some populations with big arses in
Africa as inferior species. In this process, whereby they actually brought
these African women in Europe and paraded them around, the 'evidence' of
their theories created a 'great' new discipline and norm for women,
influencing our language, our thought and the social psyche until today..

Christos
..