[OM] Re: Digital processors and automated, unrequested, cropping

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital processors and automated, unrequested, cropping
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 05:39:15 -0400
Commercial labs always overprint to some degree.  They'd rather crop a
bit of your image all around than risk unexposed edges.  I don't know
what "standard size" prints are in NZ but in the US it's still 4x6" for
the 2:3 aspect ratio of 35mm.  Since the E-1 and most digital point and
shoots are 3:4, when the long side of the image is 6" long the short
side is 4.5" tall.  Combine that with the overprint and the 4x6" print
is missing more than 1/2" of height on the image.  Is that what you're
seeing on the digital prints?

Chuck Norcutt