[OM] Re: Advice sought on labeling prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice sought on labeling prints
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 18:48:36 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/2006 11:54:35 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

What is  a safe and reliable method of labeling the back of your prints?

I read  somewhere that the safe and long lasting method was pencil.  And  I
have a bunch of photos my great grandfather took in the 1920's era that  are
labeled via pencil and hold up well.  My problem is I am printing  on gloss
(Can*n) and pencil is not going to work there.  Pens don't  make it, but a
sharpie will.  Anyone know if a sharpie will bleed  through?

I think the Sharpie ink is probably fairly strong stuff and I've used them
in the past to sign the front of a print.

I am currently using a product I got from an art supply store called a
Micron or Pigma Micron pen.  It shows it as being #1 Archival Ink for acid
free
environments.  It says it is micro pigment ink for waterproof  and fade proof
fine lines.  Manufactured by Sakura Color Products Corp  in Japan.

I would probably avoid writing on the back is the image space and if I were
to use some kind of sticky label I would probably keep it out of the image
area  and make sure the adhesives were appropriate for archival storage.
<[8^)
 Bill Barber