[OM] Re: [OT] A brief Tokina 28-80 test note

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A brief Tokina 28-80 test note
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 06:21:06 -0400

Moose wrote:
> First, may I assume that the title is a typo? Or do you have access to a
> special source of lenses not available to the general public? All I can
> find is a 28-70/2.8.

You're not looking very hard.  Here's the B&H listing:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=200211&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>
Try a B&H search with keywords "Canon Tokina zoom 2.8".
The 28-70 appears to be a more recent introduction which is
significantly cost reduced.  It doesn't fare as well on reviews.

>>What does matter is Chuck's eyes.  Anyhow, more testing and checking to
>>go.
>>

> I believe much of your problem may be the 3 foot test distance. Ordinary
> lenses are optimized for longer subject distances. Gary did all his
> tests at 1:40

Yes, I was aware of this point.  I'm actually shooting at about 1:28 and
it was chosen simply to make the 24x36" map into a full frame shot with
a little bit of border.  While it may not be optimum it is well within
the range which I normally shoot and any lens I use will have to perform
well at this distance.  If anything, I expected the Tokina to be at a
disadvantage as it only focuses to about 19" at any focal length.  The
28 and 35mm Zuikos focus to about 12".  At close distances field
curvature could be a problem but I'd expect it to show itself on the
part of the field that I didn't focus on.

I'll do some further testing to see if this is a significant point but I
still suspect something else.

Some more points I'm already aware of:
The 50mm Zuikos are faring much better than their shorter brethren and
the Tokina looks very soft at the edge of the field wide open at 50mm. I
read this somewhere in a review and have determined it to be true.

Today will not be a good day for more shooting or evaluation but I'll
get to it eventually.

Chuck Norcutt