[OM] Re: OT "feral", was #100

Subject: [OM] Re: OT "feral", was #100
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 20:23:59 +1000
A red fox is native in the UK and exotic here. Foxes have been
domesticated - after a few generations of careful selection for
'tame' characteristics they make good pets, apparently. They even
take on the characteristics of domestic dogs in that they come into
season twice per year instead of once. If you want to keep one, you'd
need to have a careful eye on it and no sense of smell - the odour of
a dog fox in season is quite overpowering.
Your chickens suspect that you are a fox - simple. Do you have red
hair,  smell bad and, er...how often are you in season? Seriously,
most chooks do not like being picked up unless they are very
accustomed to it and their feet and wings are well held. If you wish,
I'll provide full instructions on how to hypnotise the blighters. A
truly feral chicken would look more like a large bantam and would lay
around 30 eggs per year rather than 270 or so.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(look into the eye of the chook - see the dinosaur!)