[OM] Re: [OT] More OT electrical advice needed

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] More OT electrical advice needed
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:26:39 +0100
I do not have two degrees in engineering, but Steve's other caveats apply
(in trumps) to what follows.

What Steve has described is not the way I understand the electrical system
works in the UK, so do NOT try to apply it over here.  Please.  Just in case
you were going to.  Our 230v domestic supply is one of three phases, and you
should assume that the potential to earth (ground) *IS* 230v. Of course it
might be zero, if all three phases are belanced, but I wouldn't bank on it.

None of which should be taken to imply that what Steve said regarding the US
system is inaccurate.  Or accurate.  Or anything.  Because it potentially
is.  Or isn't.

Please don't fry yourself, Chuck. Please.

--
Piers