[OM] Re: OM1 light meter

Subject: [OM] Re: OM1 light meter
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 03:35:28 +0200
Le dimanche 14 Mai 2006 03:22, Moose a écrit :
> Steven Brown wrote:
> > Hi- I have an OM1 and the light meter no longer works accurately- any
> > wisdom out there as to whether it is worth it to have repaired (if
> > possible) or just try to find another body? Thanks Steve from California
>
> As was mentioned at least partly, the correct battery for the OM-1 is no
> longer available. So your problem MAY be only one of battery.

I followup on your post, having slipped through the beginning of the thread ;
there's another unpleasant possibility (that happened to me) : the thin wire
feeding the meter from the cell can be either unsoldered or "rotten". I don't
know why, but I noticed that mercury cells kind of 'burn' the copper wires
even if they don't leak. I speculate there is an oxydoreduction reaction
somewhere between the components of the cell and the copper, due to air
humidity. And it is a real pain to solder it back on the contact.
Alternatively, but there's no reason why this would happen on an untampered
body, the plastic washer around the screw holding this battery contact can be
broken (or the plastic screw herself, used on later OM1 revisions).

--
Manuel Viet