[OM] Setting the record straight

Subject: [OM] Setting the record straight
From: "James Royall" <jamesroyall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 07:26:02 +0100
I recently asked about repair costs for the 14-54 after mine collided
with a door, saying I was surprised that mine got knocked out of whack
bouncing off mere wood. Well, I then noticed that the extra play in the
front element was in fact down to the hood having some slack in its fit.
So I stuck the camera on the tripod and took some test shots. Nothing
out of line. Looking back at the soft shots that I thought indicated
damage, they were taken with manual focus and I'd got it wrong. Anything
more than about 5 or 6 feet away shows a focus distance right on the
left hand end of the infinity symbol. I'd assumed the scale to be more
linear between 1m and infinity and so had just focused too close.
So lessons learned: You may not be able to hammer nails but you could
probably fight off a mugger with an e-XXX; The focus scale is just for
decoration.

James
--
  James Royall