[OM] Re: [photo] tree rodent

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] tree rodent
From: "Richard Lovison" <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 08:25:37 -0400
Thanks Graham and Chris.  The critter is cute when outside, except when they
raid the bird feeder, though a giant pain in the behind if they ever get in
your home.  Our neighbor had 2 get into the kitchen via a chewed through
screen and they did an incredible amount of damage in a short period of
time.

My wife and I never heard of nor did we ever see a black squirrel before
moving to Massachusetts.  It actually freaked us out the first time we saw
one.  We have 3 black squirrels near our home though we see them less
frequently than the grays... maybe it's because they have a larger
territory?

BTW, my wife and I took a walk together to sit and view the Herons at the
pond Sunday morning.  While we were sitting quietly enjoying the silence we
suddenly heard a medium sized animal running through the woods directly
towards us.  Unnerving to say the least.  All I remember seeing was a blur
of black and gray fur about the size of a medium sized dog.  Whatever it was
caught site of us and immediately took off in the opposite direction in less
than an instant.  Must have been a coyote or a coy-dog common in our area.
Sure wish I could disappear as quickly as that critter if ever needed.  That
ability might come in handy in the future if the world suddenly goes to he*l
in a hand basket. 8-)

Richard