[OM] Re: in-camera image resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: in-camera image resolution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 03:12:40 -0700
Mike wrote:
>> The ppi you choose is printer dependent.....
> Tom, don't you mean dpi ? as in setting the dpi of the image to a
> multiple of the ppi that the printer uses.
> FWIW  Harald Johnson in "Mastering Digital Printing" says this is an
> unnecessary step. The driver can make the conversion without loss of
> print quality.

My experience agrees with him. When I first was playing with my then new
Epson 1270, I got some strange and unappealing results on some prints. I
concluded it was a matter of choosing a dpi that was an integer divisor
of the printer max of 1440 dpi. I made a little chart of those dpis and
stuck with it. It meant some compromises with framing/composition in
many cases and was quite frustrating at times.

I then read H. Johnson's book, where he wrote about doing extensive
testing and finding that it just made no discernible difference in
prints. I didn't just believe him, but I did try out just cropping and
framing as I pleased to fit the image to the shape of the paper. And
darned if he didn't turn out to be right, at least in my experience. I
still don't know what I did wrong back there at the beginning, but
apparently I blamed it on the wrong thing.

Moose