[OM] Re: Do I want and/or need one of these?

Subject: [OM] Re: Do I want and/or need one of these?
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 20:59:59 -0600
> http://www.adorama.com/MMHG120.html?emailprice=t&sid=11468534485761973
>
> Assuming it works as claimed, looks pretty dadgum good to me.

  I recently got a Hyperdrive HD80 (exactly the same thing as the
CompactDrive p70x) -- 60gb laptop drive in a box, various card readers,
and it also charges AA batteries; $120 on eBay. (www.hyperdrive.com /
www.compactdrive.com for the original companies, or google for a bunch
of other resellers, weirdly mostly in Australia)

  Do you need one? Well, I just went to the UK for a week -- I didn't
have a laptop along, so I dumped cards off onto it as I went, and
personally I think it's great. I was at a juggling convention, so I was
shooting a lot of 'motor drive' shots to try and get the timing right,
and it was very nice to just rattle off a dozen shots, rattle off
another dozen shots, repeat ad nauseam and know that I wasn't going to
run out of space on the memory cards. You need two -- one that's live,
one that's being transferred -- the HD80 is one of the fastest things to
transfer data (other one being the NextoCF), so it takes a minute or so
to dump everything off a 512mb card.

  I'd check transfer speeds, because if it takes (say) 10 minutes to
dump a card off, that means one set of batteries will transfer a 10th of
the data..

  For much much more info and discussions on this sort of thing:

  According to
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=13304826
the MediaGear is amazingly slow; 45 minutes to transfer a 2gb card is
_not_ useful -- other opinions are similarly negative.

  -- dan