[OM] Re: I have relented ....

Subject: [OM] Re: I have relented ....
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:54:18 +0000
I agree with Moose about the color.  I don't much care if it's really accurate,
just if it looks good to me.  I ain't shooting for catalogs or nature field
guides, et al.  There's barely nary a photo I process that I don't diddle with
the colors a dab or two just to make 'em look good to me.  I recently posted a
couple of bluebird shots taken with the E-1 and 500/8 Zuiko.  One was "souped
up" and the other was quite close to accurate.  As I recall, those who
commented seemed to prefer the inaccurate one.

Righteous bluebird:
http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1080.jpg

Gussied up bluebird:
http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1079.jpg

As for C.H.'s examples, about the only real difference I can tell, other than
the slight difference in the color of the flowers, is that the Bibble shot
looks like it may have had the "fill light" thing used, a feature I find
fascinating and quite useful.  But, hey, I'm easily amused.  And I don't find
the interface to be all that bothersome.  Maybe I just catch on quick.

I have today installed Picture Window Pro 4.0, and, yes, it's RAW conversion
results in a dreadfully flat image.  I am seriously disappointed, as PWP has
long been one of my favorites.  Extending the dynamic range sliders 25% in
either direction seem to pretty much correct the problem, but that shouldn't be
necessary.  Still, I like a lot of the other things PWP does, so I'll keep
using it.

As far as the accurate color stuff goes and my opinion regarding it, you have
to remember that I was educated and trained as a journalist, and accuracy is
not something that journalists ever got their shorts in too much of a wad over,
and sure as hell not these days.  :-)

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --