[OM] E-1 WB question

Subject: [OM] E-1 WB question
From: "Richard Lovison" <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:20:02 -0400
I came across something I don't understand.  I've never used the WB setting
on the camera except to leave it on auto and adjust and fine tune the WB
when processing the RAW file.  Today I decided to set the camera to 6600K
since the Takahashi likes that setting for overcast conditions.  What I
don't understand is why when I process an image shot at 6600K it comes up as
6800K in Studio using High Function with a +3 step fine adjustment?  Why
doesn't 6600K on camera come up as 6600K in the RAW development engine??  I
also assumed in error that the fine adjustment (never used it) in High
Function adjusted the color temperature in steps as a +1 adjustment changes
6000K to 6100K.  Wrongo, the adjustment slider increases green to the left
or increases magenta to the right.

BTW, did some more WB tests with the Takahashi.  Doing a custom WB setting
in heavy overcast conditions produced a 6600K setting with a -1 step fine
adjustment (this fine adjustment now explains why I have been adding 2
points of green to the highlights on quite a few of my E-1 images).  The DZ
40-150 produces a 6100K  and a  -1 step setting.

This is all a good lesson for me... thanks Wayne for giving me a nudge.
When I initially processed the Heron files my monitor as well as my gut were
telling me they were a bit cold in temperature but my head told me otherwise
as in "the Tak should be right on and my WB at 5600K in bright sun should be
correct."  Oh well, so much for my head. 8-)

Richard