[OM] Re: [photo] Great Blue Heron 10

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] Great Blue Heron 10
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:03:11 -0700
Richard Lovison wrote:
> I'm glad you brought this up.  I also struggled with the "coolness" of the
> shots taken with the Takahashi especially sense this refractor has excellent
> reviews when it comes to color neutrality.  This image has a WB of 5600K and
> was taken around 2-3pm.  In PS, grays show up with equal amounts of RGB as
> well as the whites.  The overall "coolness" of the image to the eye might be
> due to the fact that all the colors in the image are "cool", the blue in the
> sky, blues and grays in the Heron and neutral grays in the branches of the
> nest and dead tree.
That's what I think. Importing it into PS and warming everything but the
sky doesn't improve it at all for me.
> <>
> The timing had more to do with good fortune then brilliancy I'm afraid.
> I've been observing the Herons for over a week and have become accustomed to
> some of their behavior.  I aim the camera setup at a particular nest that I
> feel will have a visiting bird and when one approaches, I use the sequential
> drive and just hold the shutter down for 5-10 frames.  I find the shape of
> their wings frozen in time beautiful.  I hope others do as well.

Yes, the beautiful curves of the wings and feathers under load are
exquisite.  In this one, in particular, the whole pose of the body, neck
and legs is also just beautiful.

Nature still does this stuff better than any of us folks.

Moose