[OM] Re: portra 160vc processing question

Subject: [OM] Re: portra 160vc processing question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:20:48 -0700
swisspace wrote:
> I am just trying this for the first time and wonder if  it needs special
> care or can I just send it off to my normal lab, I am not too bothered
> about the original set of prints as I could scan it and correct as
> necessary - and I would think if I hand it in to my local shop they
> wouldn't treat it any different to normal - Is my thinking correct or
> flawed?

It's standard C-41 processing to develop the negs.

After that, things may get odd. Robert has already posted about his
problematic prints.

I tried some 160VC and had it developed and scanned by a shop where I'd
been doing that with Supra and Portra films for some time with good
results. The VC scans were way too contrasty, with seriously blown
highlights and lost shadows. I had to rescan the whole roll my self.
When I took in the second roll, I asked if there was anything that could
be done to assure good scans. I was told they scanned all film the same.
So I had the roll developed only and scanned it myself again.

Since that experience I have purchased a scanner that will scan 6 frames
at a time, so scanning is not such a big deal. I used film scanned at
the shop to provide proofs from which I could decide which ones were
worth scanning at higher rez and with higher dynamic range myself. Now I
do all scanning myself. I have also not tried any more VC. When scanning
it myself, there is no point in getting anything other than NC, as
contrast and saturation are at my command. Also, I have ICC profiles for
NC, which gives much better, more consistent  results right out of the
scanner. If I made a profile for VC, the output would be the same as NC,
so there is no point.

Moose