[OM] Re: Another kitchen

Subject: [OM] Re: Another kitchen
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:24:57 -0700
Nice cabinets. The inside actually reminds me of a little 2 bedroom house
that sold locally for $3.5M.

"photo flood and/or a remote T32"
If you're going to be shooting inside I would recommend you get some
daylight to 3200k filter material to put on your flash. However you seem to
have done a very good job eliminating local color casts caused by different
lighting. Maybe the "fix" is what causes Moose to be less than thrilled with
the colors.

I can't help but smile when seeing the kitchen. Stainless steel appliances,
Viking stove, stone counter tops. It seems like every new up-scale home
built these days has to have those. Again, nice cabinets.

It looks like the shadows on the ceiling have a slight blue cast to them
compared to the walls. I would guess the photo flood was higher than the
flash? An exposed beam ceiling with recessed lighting must have been a lot
of fun trying to take a picture of. Maybe position the photo flood above the
counters but below the camera?

Thanks for posting the pictures. I'll bet the spot metering of the OM4 came
in pretty handy. Did you use a flash light-meter? The instant review of
digital makes it much easier. I'm not even sure I would dare try film.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just finished taking some photos of the interior of a house I worked on
last winter. (kitchen design and cabinetry) I still have a lot to learn
about lighting. I used a 24 shift on my OM4, porta 160vc. Various
combinations of photo flood and/or a remote T32 into an umbrella used as
a diffuser. The portra was probably a mistake as the colors were way too
saturated but I just wanted to finish off the roll. I ended up doing
lots of tweaking to get the color somewhat uniform shot to shot and
reasonably accurate. I'm open to suggestions for a better film to use
and better ways to use the lighting.

This is the entryway.
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/Cabinets/Miles-Clark/M-Chouse22a.jpg

Here are some of the better interior shots:
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/Cabinets/Miles-Clark/M-Chouse02a.jpg
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/Cabinets/Miles-Clark/M-Chouse04a.jpg
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/Cabinets/Miles-Clark/M-Chouse08a.jpg
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/Cabinets/Miles-Clark/M-Chouse11a.jpg

A little history. This house was purchased last year as a fixer-upper for
$1.7m. The remodel ran about $0.5m +/-. The house sold last week for
3.4m after 4 days on the market.
I think I'm in the wrong business :>) You do the math.

mike