[OM] Re: The 50mm issue...

Subject: [OM] Re: The 50mm issue...
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:54:21 -0500
On 4/15/06, Christos Stavrou <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> do you think there is any qualitative advantage to go for the 1.4 (regarding
> sharpness, bokeh, particular image character or colour rendition, ergonomics
> etc. apart that litlle bit of faster aperture)?
>
> Christos

> > then the 50/1.8  MIJ (Made in Japan version) and then the
> > 50/1.2. ...

Hello Christos,

Not being Wayne, I can't speak for him, but I do like to muddy the
waters.  I think the 50/1.8 is a miraculous tiny little wonder, as
close to a pancake lens as I am likely to get and generally
astonishing at f11 and f16 if you are likely to need those stops.
While we have somewhat isolated over time the "best" versions, they
all have special qualities.  I bought a camera body once that came
with a single-coated 50/1.8 "body cap."  I had to fix the rubber grip,
which had become loose with age, to be able to use it comfortably.  It
has a lot of "photon wear," if you get my meaning.  It is definitely
more prone to flare, but I just enjoy using it.  My MIJ version is
better for landscape, but I like to put the SC version on the oldest,
most beat up body I've got a just shoot for fun, and I'm never
disappointed.

I also had a 50/1.4 which was SC.  I traded it off and got a MC
version which was supposed to be better, but I found I liked the SC
version better.  I don't really need the speed of that lens.  I don't
shoot much that doesn't need more DOF than f1/4 can deliver.  So it's
just a heavier version of the 1.8 to me.

Also the macro 50/3.5 is light and is probably the best among all my
Zuikos with the E-system plus adapter, other than the bokeh champion
90/2 (although the best value in that range is probably the 100/2.8).
Again, I had an SC 50/3.5 slip through my fingers when I had the
chance to get a nice MC version.  I still like a lot of things about
that SC version.

(I understand that the 50/2 is great both with OMs and on a digital
body.  I don't have that lens, I'm sorry to say.)

In fact, I like the SC versions a lot.  And they usually have a pretty
silver ring around the front of the lens, which impresses the ladies,
and they look wonderfully retro and handsome on either black or chrome
bodies.  This is all true, except for the part about the ladies.

Joel W.