[OM] Re: [lens] Re: Monopod Head

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: Monopod Head
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 02:21:29 -0400
On Monday, April 10, 2006 at 21:44,
Mike <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >...the best head solution is the Bogen 3232 monopod head, cheap,
> >solid, simple, does the job with ease ...
> >
>  What Moose said /\
>
> However one must loosen the mounting screw and rotate the base of the
> camera to shoot in portrait orientation.

Yep, a simple ball head is better.

> At least that's how I like to use this head. I want to be able to
> tilt up and down as I make a tripod using my two legs and leaning
> into the monopod angled out in front. A quick release plate would
> interfere with flopping the camera over if mounted as I use this
> head. Anyway, I can't imagine how a quick release plate would be
> any simpler than a few flicks with your thumb and it adds more
> levels of complexity, weight and expense. But I seem to hold a
> minority view on the subject.

I agree. QR plates are nice if you have a tripod set in a particular position
and more
than one body or lens (with tripod screw) for quick, secure switching. Monopods
don't
stand up by themselves in one place, and you usually don't switch bodies or
lenses
much.

tOM

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.412 W75.714         +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle