[OM] Re: 4/10 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/10 fragment of my day
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:02:51 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
>> http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/day/day65.html
>>

> Very nice interpretation. The eyes/nose thing is freaky, though.

Although I'm prone to finding faces, et. in shapes, I didn't see any in
this one, so I was simply able to enjoy a nice capture of a beautiful
natural scene.

Looking at it again, I do see a cool face thingie, including a mouth on
its right side, viewer's left. But first, I saw a huge, ancient frog
face in the lower part of the rock pile on the lower right.

And looking at 64 again, I see a giant, reddish brown dog head, with the
falls coming out or its mouth. Clifford? Time to move on.  :-)  Oh, no,
there's a turtle head.....
> This is one of those scenes that I can tell would be a touch
> more difficult to get a good composition out of because the
> "power elements" don't always land where you want them. You
> handled it well and it's another picture I've never seen before.
I sorta think I know what you mean, but I haven't got it down in such
terms. There are enough elements that it could easily fall apart as a
single image. But it somehow holds together and I think that tension
adds to it. A vertical crop from the left edge to just short of the frog
head and losing just a bit off the bottom is much 'simpler' and quite
pleasing to my eye, too.

In a "takes one to know one" vein, I find some of this series somewhere
in the vicinity of over sharpened. I'm often fighting, and sometimes
losing, the edge between enough sharpening to give a sense in a small
version of the sharpness and detail of the larger original and so much
sharpening that it gives an unnatural edginess to the image. With this
one, it seemed over when I first looked at it. Tilt my head, look at
some details, then back up straight and see the whole thing, and it
looks fine.

Moose