[OM] OM semi-fang? + digi ruminations

Subject: [OM] OM semi-fang? + digi ruminations
From: Walter Stephan <wstephan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 18:31:44 -0400
Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker and very infrequent poster to the list, but recent
activities have prompted me to post.  Yesterday I BIN'd an 80 mm f/4 auto
macro, 65-116 auto tube + oly om to e-system adapter for a total of
US $325.  If these are all in very good shape as claimed (I'll let you know
when the box arrives) this seems like a good deal to me.  The auto tube
does seem to be missing the tripod mount, so I guess I'll have to try to buy
one from John H.  I'm looking forward to trying this out on some spring
flowers in the near future (none here yet in "frigid" Quebec, Can.).

On the digi side, I presently have an e-300 with the standard two lens kit
plus a whole closet full of om zuiko and other 3rd party om-mount lenses, as
well as a bunch of om bodies that don't get used so much since I got the
e-300 :-(

Reading Garth's post the other day prompted me to check out a few online
shops for e-1 deals, and what did I find: Henry's in Toronto has e-1 with
14-54 f2.8-3.5 going for Can. $1270 (about US $1080).  Seeing as the lens
alone retails for about Can. $600, they're practically giving away the e-1
bodies.  Now here's the problem: do I really need an e-1, given that it's
ancient technology by modern digi standards?  If I want a better standard
zoom than the slowish 14-45, I could just get a 14-54 and save more than
$600.  On the other hand, $600 for an e-1 seems like a screaming deal even if
it is ancient.

I'm not really seriously expecting any help with this little decision, but I
couldn't resist thowing it out for discussion among other zuikoholics.
It does seem to me that oly is trying desperately to dispose of remaining e-1
stock.  Does this mean that they are planning to announce a new pro-level
body (say in the fall), or are they just trying to cut their losses?

Walter Stephan