[OM] Re: E-500 or E-1 - (5D dust)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 or E-1 - (5D dust)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 13:34:00 -0600
At 11:52 AM 09/04/2006, Joel Wilcox wrote:

[snip]

>I've got dust from my recent trip to Arizona and Utah on the mirror and/or
>screen of my E-1 so thick it looks like the Hawaiian archipeligo in
>the viewfinder and I don't see any evidence of dust on the sensor at
>all!  I just stepped out back and shot the western sky at f16:
>
>http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/E-1_dustatf16.jpg
>
>Image shot at HG quality mode, ISO 100, saved for web at 50% quality
>jpg. I don't see a problem.  Did I do something wrong?

Joel, *assuming* that you do indeed have dust on your sensor and that
something about the way the image was captured or processed has
"masked" it somehow, the only thing I can think of would be saving
the resulting JPEG at 50% quality -- I've very occasionally run into
some strange artifacts at this high a compression level, including
seeing small dust specks "disappear" by being averaged-out or
otherwise obscured by the artifacting process.

Nevertheless, I can't seem to see any dust specks either.

Garth