[OM] Re: very slightly OT: Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: very slightly OT: Digital
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:55:43 -0500
On 4/8/06, Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >You learn fast.  But the spot metering is actually pretty great.  The
> >spot on an E-1 seems a little more precise than on the OM-4 (heresy!).
> > Finding and measuring a middle value that works seems a little easier
> >to me.
>
> But the OM-4 allows you to make a spot measurement (or several) without
> leaving the center-weighted mode. On the E-1, you have to switch, I find this
> annoying.

True, it would certainly be nice to have OM-4 spot/memory characteristics.

> Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to set the camera so that the AE
> lock button uses the spot metering mode, while the camera remains in
> center-weighted metering mode. I think the E-500 allows it (from what I
> read), the E-1 does not.
>
> >Can the ergonomics be praised too highly?  That has so much to
> >do with the pleasure in holding the camera and shooting.
>
> Personally I think the E-1 ergonomics are good but not great. For instance, I
> cannot manipulate the front _and_ rear wheels without moving my hand around
> the right side of the body: if I turn the front wheel to adjust the aperture,
> say, then wnat to make an exposure adjustment using the rear wheel (I have
> programmed it for this function), my hand is not big enough/my thumb long
> enough to reach the wheel, I have to move my hand.
>
> I never seem to be able to find the DOF button without a lot of fiddling
> around the camera.
>
> And various minor gripes, which prevent me from being in love with the
> camera...
>
> Bernard

Oh, I see what you mean.  I don't have those issues with the camera.
I actually like the two wheels and even the fact that the aperture
function switches wheel depending on whether you're in M or A (makes
sense to me, I guess I'm weird).

Joel W.