[OM] White balance

Subject: [OM] White balance
From: Garth Wood <getwood1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:03:06 -0700
Well, yesterday I pulled the trigger on another photo-related
purchase (a small one this time): I went out and bought one of the
legendary ExpoDiscs for the A1.  And then I used it on my camera for
the first time to set a totally custom white balance.  To sum up:

    This thing *ROCKS*.

Why did I wait so long?  Why, Lord?  WHY?  With five seconds' worth
of effort, I get a white balance that's completely "attuned" to the
ambient light mix, and the results were nothing short of shockingly,
jaw-droppingly fabulous -- instead of dicking around for five minutes
per photo in Photoshop to try and get something that looked
approximately like what I thought I saw, I got images that were damn
close to perfect.  No diddlin' curves.  No fartin' around with
levels.  Hell, I may just marry this thing.

Custom white balances can be done in other ways, and the AutoWB on my
A1 (and, I presume, on the various E-thingies) is pretty good, but
now I'll give up my ExpoDisc when someone pries it from my cold, dead hands.

I'm just sayin'.

Garth