[OM] Re: Switching eyes...

Subject: [OM] Re: Switching eyes...
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:47:18 +0200
Le mercredi 29 Mars 2006 04:31, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile a écrit :
> Perhaps not the best idea to get into these details here, but just can't
> help it since I thought over on this topic this afternoon.
> My point is that having a dominant eye needs a different neurological
> explanation from being right/left/ambidextrous handed.

Just to bring some personal feedback, I happen to be right handed like the
majority, but my left eye is clearly dominant. To worsen the matter, I jump
from my right leg like a left handed person. But I've never shown any
ambidextrous capability ; I'm just "weird". I've learnt it fairly late
(around 20) and that solved a lot of problems for me, and explained some
oddities (like being a really poor dancer, because I don't start on the foot
my partner expect, or being a bad shooter because I don't aim with the eye
holding the gun - as a matter of fact, I was diagnosed at army selection
where they don't deal lightly with those matters). All in all, knowing about
it has freed me from some frustrations I had younger in sports. Now, when I
don't succeed at something, I try to make the reverse move from what a right
handed person is expected to do, and generaly the result is better ; but I'm
hopeless in anything requiring aiming, like basketball.

To know your dominating eye, just point at something with your finger, arm
extended, two eyes open. Then close one eye, then the other. The eye matching
the aim and the finger is the dominant.

Among the (photograhic, to jump back in topic) oddities of my condition, I
tend to appreciate the images reverse from everybody else. When I like a
picture I made, I can be sure that the majority of people will prefer a
mirror print of it ; or, for instance, where everybody tend to represent
motion in a drawing by a left to right orientation, I tend to think an image
feels more dynamic when oriented right to left.

I don't know how it fits in your biological theroy, but I think (for me) that
being left or right eyed is very similar  to (if not always linked to) being
right or left handed, and I find it painful to try to guide myself on my
right eye only. It's not linked to the quality of vision, as I've been tested
far above average on both eyes, none being really better than the other.
But I'm sure too, that the body is adaptative enough to make good use of the
non-dominant eye whenever the dominant is no more able to play its part for
some reasons, like many right handed persons can train to effectively use
their left hand after an accident of their right hand.

The good point is however hard I try, I can't use a leica without rubbing my
nose on the back, so I'm not ready to buy one until they make it with the
viewfinder at the "right" end ;-)

--
Manuel Viet