[OM] Coating marks

Subject: [OM] Coating marks
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:42:20 -0500
When Fabio asked about a 50/1.4 this morning I knew I had a spare
somewhere and went to check if it met his criteria.  It doesn't. The
serial number is high enough but it's suffering from a slightly sluggish
diaphragm and I also noticed it has a fair number of "coating marks" on
the front element.  Maybe even a few whispy spiders of fungus but that's
hard to say.  A few perfectly straight razor thin bright lines about 4-5
mm long deep inside when held in bright sunlight.  Dunno.  Maybe just
reflections.

But back to coating marks.  I've seen some of these on my other lenses
and have always wondered what they were.  A few of my lenses may have
what looks like a light scuff of several millimeters length which I
suppose is just that; a scuff mark.  But most marks I can find I would
classify as a circular or near circular patch usually about 1mm (or
less) in diamter.  The coating at that point simply seems to have a
different color or maybe it's even chipped off.  I can't tell but
they're clearly visible in good light.  It's hard for me to believe that
I've caused these marks by banging the front element into something that
has made a small mark on the coating but I can't think of what else it
might be.

Any ideas?

Chuck Norcutt